Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We're off!

Here we go!  The trip begins today.  I'll try to post at least once a day during the trip but there are no guarantees on that (so don't send the state troopers looking for us if I miss a day!)  You can check the routes for each day at http://niagarabycycle.org/

We start the first day of the trip at 6:30am with a drive from my home in Miller Place out to Montauk Point (thank you to my daughter Annie for giving us a lift).  There will be 5 riders to start the day (me, Michael, Greg and Michele Maggio, and Alice Cialella).  Our minivan is loaded up with bicycles - two on the top rack, two on the back rack, and one inside with front wheel removed.   We'll be met by Rick Wagener midmorning in Sag Harbor so we'll be 6 for most of the day.    Our route for the day includes a ride across Shelter Island with ferry rides at either end. 

The weather report for today (and for the next 10 days) looks great.   Sunny with a high in the eighties.  The wind will be against us but that's not a big surprise.  There's a very light northwest wind now which is expected to pick up some during the day.


We'll end the day right back here at Miller Place - taking the full day to cover the distance we'll have covered in an hour and a half drive in the morning.  That's the nature of this cycling game!  I'm promised that there will be a spaghetti dinner awaiting us when we arrive back at home.

Though I know that we will end up back home at the end of the day, I'm going to ride with my bicycle fully loaded to give me a chance to try it out under those conditions.  I think Michael will do the same.  I've tried to travel as lightly as possible.   I got my rear panniers down to 19 pounds with another 5 or 6 pounds in my underseat toolbag and handlebar bag.   

No comments:

Post a Comment